A few years ago I picked up this little gem of an amp at a gun show for a paltry 25 bucks. Not a bad snag!
It worked great, except the volume knob didn’t seem to do much… it always sounded like it was on full blast. So, I brought it down to Skullspace to tinker with it.
Aside from the potentiometer not really changing the volume, it was also quite scratchy when changing volumes. This is usually a sign of a worn-out potentiometer, so I ripped out the old one and temporary wired up a replacement off ebay.
I carefully tested the amplifier (you really dont want to touch the high-voltage tube supply wires in there when it’s powered…) and it sounded way better than before! I deemed it a success and installed the new potentiometer, still with test connections:
Everything seemed to work alright, so I soldered everything in place:
The only issue I faced was that the old wires did not really wick up the solder so well. I suspect there are some poor connections because of this, but for now it works… maybe some proper flux paste would work better than rosin-core solder?
Hello internet, I recently received my Gameduino2 via kickstarter and dreamt up a quick demo – tilting the screen moves the ball around (with realistic-ish physics), and keeping it on the “path” longer earns more points:
This demo doesn’t even touch the Gameduino2’s capabilities – just a fun proof of concept. Maybe someone can build off of it?
In some cases, you need to connect to a VPN to do remote work. Typically this sets the VPN interface to be the default gateway – and so, all your web traffic/etc will route through your VPN connection. This becomes troublesome if your VPN endpoint wont route out to the web.
For example, I’m ssh-ed into some work servers right now, and need the internet to write this awesome blog post. My VPN endpoint at the office does not route any traffic to the web, by design.
To get around this, first add a static route for the subnet associated with your VPN interface
What do you do with a busted laptop? Many people are quick to throw them away. Others turn them into FreeNAS boxes, or other useful servers. For the machine I inherited today, I decided to turn it into an all-in-one style desktop PC. The screen still worked, it was able to boot windows – the only trouble being that it was in physically rough shape.
Basically, the screen had become detached from the rest of the machine – but all the cables were still in place for it to function. After some light tweaking, I was able to get the screen to flip around the body of the laptop and sit flat on the reverse side:
But how to keep it in place? Being impatient and lazy (usually a dangerous combination), I tried my lucking using an entire roll of electrical tape to keep it all together. Because why not?
Being that this thing is going to mount against something on the reverse, I removed the keyboard as well. So it’s not bumping its keys into stuff all the time.
As luck would have it, I had an old monitor stand kicking around – works as a nice little kickstand. Not perfectly stable, but still more solid than I was expecting:
Now all that’s left is to wipe the old Vista install and put on a fresh OS…
A few hours of tinkering, an old laptop, some electrical tape, and a fresh Xubuntu install made for a perfectly good bedroom workstation. Not bad for one night!
My little Samsung netbook’s power supply died, so I thought I would see if it was an easy fix. Turns out the components are too tightly packed and coated with silicone adhesive-y stuff to easily find what is broken, but I did manage to shoot a video of a 150VDC capacitor discharge:
And that’s why you shouldn’t tinker with power supplies!